Disability Support Services in Auckland

There are a wide and varied range of disability support services available in Auckland that can be accessed. ADSA cannot provide information on all of them so we have only broken down the major service providers on this page.

Parent 2 Parent ( run a “Navigating the System” seminar which aims to provide families with basic information about the various disability service providers in Auckland, what they offer and how you can contact them. For information on this course visit the Parent 2 Parent website or call them on 09 625 5021.
Taikura Trust
Taikura Trust is contracted by the Ministry of Health to provide Needs Assessment and Service Coordination (NASC) to people with disabilities. Taikura Trust services cover the greater Auckland region from Mercer to Wellsford. It is through Taikura Trust, that you may be able to access Disability Support Services, which are funded by the Ministry of Health, and other assistance.

Taikura Trust do not provide direct support, such as home help or respite care. Instead, Taikura Trust Staff establish who is eligible for Disability Support Services, then assess support needs and coordinate services for eligible people. Through the Needs Assessment Process, Taikura Trust identify your personal goals and get an understanding of your individual needs. They will then plan and coordinate the supports with you.

Disability Support Services can include -
  • Home and Community Support (household management and personal care). It is worthwhile noting that you may be eligible for home and community services funded through Individualised Funding which is a way of paying for Home and Community Support Services directly
  • Respite and Carer Support
  • Rehabilitation
  • Behaviour Support
  • Supported Independent Living
  • Community Residential Support
  • Community Day Programmes
  • Disability Information and Advisory Services (DIAS)
To receive Disability Support Services, you must meet the eligibility criteria. Your medical support team (Child Development Services at the DHB or pediatrician) should complete a referral for you to Taikura Trust. However if they don’t then your GP can or any family member, friend or you yourself.

Click here for a copy of the Taikura Trust referral form.

The Taikura Trust website where you can find out information on their services is

You can also contact them directly, details below.
Freephone 0800 TAIKURA (0800 824 5872) from outside Auckland or 278 6314 if calling from within Auckland.
CCS Disability Action
CCS is a provider of support and services to people with disabilities. They offer service co-ordination, and early intervention. They also provide support services to youth and adults including transition services, supported independent living and employment services.

You can contact CCS on 0800 227 2255 or visit
IHC/Idea Services
IHC works for all people with an intellectual disability. IHC provide services, advocacy, support and information. IHC will advocate for the rights, inclusion and welfare of all people with an intellectual disability and support them to live satisfying lives in the community. Services are provided by IHC’s service delivery arms called IDEA Services Limited, IDEA Services family/whanau services and Timata Hou. Services include:
  • Accommodation services
  • Supported living
  • Day services
  • Supported employment
  • Home support
  • Services for family/whanau
  • Respitality Programme: a partnership between IHC/IDEA Services and the hospitality industry. It gives family carers of people with an intellectual disability the chance to 'recharge' with a night away. Read more about this Programme in the 'Take a Break' brochure»
  • IHC Friendship and Skill-Based Programme If you are interested in volunteering, please click here. And click here for the skill-based information sheet. Click here if you would like to request a volunteer.
You can contact IHC on 0800 442 442 or visit
Work and Income - Child Disability Allowance
The Child Disability Allowance is a fortnightly payment that can be made to the principal caregiver of a child who:
  • needs constant care and attention because of a physical, psychiatric or intellectual disability
  • is likely to need care permanently or for more than 12 months. 
What is important to note is that eligibility for the CDA is not related to the disability itself but to the extent of extra care and attention a child with a physical, psychiatric or intellectual disability requires. For example, a child with Down syndrome may not require any more care and attention than any other child but other children with the condition will. Furthermore, a young child may require more care and attention and they may, then, reach a stage where the care and attention is not required as they gain skills to manage their lives.
The individual circumstances of the child are always taken into account when eligibility for the CDA is being considered. It is not a case of children with a physical, psychiatric or intellectual disability being automatically eligible for the CDA.
One other point is that the CDA is not about providing cost. The Disability Allowance can assist with that.
You can access more information on the CDA here.

The Child Disability Allowance is $46.49 a week (as at 1 April 2015) for each child who qualifies. This is a set amount and doesn’t depend on your income or costs. This allowance is paid into your bank account every two weeks and is paid separately from any other assistance you may get. In most cases, it won’t affect any other assistance you may get.

To apply for this allowance contact Work and Income on  0800 559 009. This line is open Monday to Friday: 7am - 6pm or  Saturday: 8am - 1pm
Community Services Card
If you receive the Child Disability Allowance you should automatically receive a Community Services Card. This may help you with the cost of doctor’s fees and prescriptions. The Community Services Card can reduce the cost of:
  • prescription fees
  • fees for after hours doctor visits
  • visits to a doctor who is not your regular doctor
  • glasses for children 15 years and younger
  • emergency dental care provided by hospitals and approved dental contractors (ask the dental provider if they are an approved contractor)
  • travel and accommodation for treatment at a public hospital outside your area when you have been referred (at least 80km away for adults and 25km for children)
  • home help
You can use your card for your dependent children aged under 18 years.

Work and Income administer the Community Services Card on behalf of the Ministry of Health.
Call 0800 999 999,  email: or visit their website.
Group Special Education – Ministry of Education
Provides access to support and services for children with special education needs. GSE teams include early childhood educators, school age, moderate needs, SLT, OT, physiotherapists, psychologists, ORS funding.
Early intervention staff come from a range of disciplines. They include:
  • Speech-language therapists 
  • Early intervention teachers 
  • Psychologists 
  • Advisors on deaf children 
  • Resource Teachers: Vision 
  • Kaitakawaenga (Mâori liaison advisors)
  • Education support workers.
The early intervention teams work collaboratively with families/whânau, educators and specialists from other agencies to strengthen and extend children's educational learning. The teams have an in-depth understanding of early childhood development and knowledge of special education in early childhood.  The GSE early intervention specialists work alongside families/whânau, educators, other agencies and specialists to:
  • identify needs early in the child's life
  • assess the child's skills and needs
  • set goals for the child
  • develop a plan to achieve the goals
  • provide expertise and tools to support the plan
  • agree on new goals as the child progresses.
Services can include:
  • guidance for teachers and parents
  • using techniques based around playing to teach new skills
  • designing strategies to improve social and learning skills and behaviour management
  • speech-language therapy
  • direct teaching support
  • the development of special resources such as communication aids
  • co-ordinating physiotherapy, occupational therapy and equipment.
The Early Intervention Service Information Sheet (PDF)»
This information sheet outlines the services and support available from the Ministry of Education, Special Education to support you and your child if your child has special education needs and hasn’t yet started school.

GSE in Auckland can be found at -
Level 3, Eden 5 Building
12 - 18 Normanby Road, Mt Eden, Auckland 1024
Phone 09 632 9400

Visit their website for more information
Proudly Supported by:
zeald FoundationNorth-25-160 Grassroots LOGO LARGE-597 Auckland Council cogs      
  four wings lions skycity
09 527 0060
Monday - Friday: 9.30am - 2.30pm
Level 3, 45 Mt Wellington Highway
Mount Wellington